Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How do I acquire books?


Me at Charing Cross Rd, London
 From time to time people ask me how I acquire so many books (most of my inventory is not yet posted to Amazon.com.) I share my experience which is that great books in great condition can be found in numerous places-- or maybe they can be found in a few places that are numerous, such as at library sales, in charity stores-- antiquarian book dealers and secondhand shops, and even through private sellers.
Parable of the Sower

American Negro Folktales
I have bought books from all of these types of sources. I love visiting new locales to buy books: I've bought new and quality used books in various cities such as Chicago; Philadelphia; Brattleboro, New Hampshire; Baltimore; Cincinnati; Boston; Atlanta, London, England; New York City and their close environs. I am always on the lookout for books that deepen my inventory in non-fiction African and African American studies and Women’s Studies, as well as those books that expand my stock into literary genres like science fiction from Octavia Butler or collections of African and African American folklore.

No comments:

Post a Comment